Cherokee Veterans Park
Home of the new L.B. "Buzz" Ahrens, Jr. Recreation Center located on 149 acres in northeast Cherokee County, Cherokee Veterans is one of the largest parks in the county’s park system.
Future possible additions to the park include a baseball/softball complex, additional tennis and pickleball courts and a large community pavilion. Future additions will depend on the availability of capital funding.
- 1 Artificial Turf Athletic Field (Available for rent)
- 2 Natural Grass Athletic Fields (Available for rent)
- 2 Tennis Courts (Available for rent: Call 770-501-8002)
- 2 Pickleball Courts (Reserve through the Cherokee Tennis Center at 770-592-4582 or visit reservemycourt.com)
- 1 Pavilion (Reserve by calling our Recreation Center at 770-924-7768)
- Skate Park
- Fishing Pond (catch and release)
- Master Garden
- 1/3 Mile Paved Walking Path near playground
- 1 1/3 Mile Paved Walking Path around park
- Silver Star Trail near the cross walk
- Large Open Meadow
Monument at Cherokee Veterans Park
Included within Cherokee Veterans Park is a monument dedicated to the service and sacrifice of all who have served our country in our military. The centerpiece of the design is a large United States Flag with five granite walls and plaques depicting the names and mottos for each uniformed branch of service along with the year each branch was founded. The pentagon-shaped plaza includes seat walls and a five-pointed star with a column at the point and the seal for each branch of the armed services on the column. The monument also includes an area in tribute to those veterans who suffered captivity as prisoners of war or who remain missing in action. Landscaping is provided around the monument to further enhance the area.
Each point of the star includes brick pavers to thank our veterans and commemorate their service. Veterans, their families and civilians alike can participate in the monument by purchasing a brick paver. All proceeds benefit the construction and upkeep of the monument.
You can purchase a brick by viewing our catalog or in person at the Recreation Center. For questions, call 770-924-7768.